Marquette Jones is from Youngstown, Ohio, not far from where I grew up. She’s an alumna of NYU’s graduate film program, but before becoming a filmmaker, Marquette was a public interest attorney in Oakland, California.
Her work includes her most recent film, Forgiving Chris Brown, along with Round on Both Sides, Tunk, Heroes Wanted and Streets 2 Suites. She has also produce many other projects from short films, to commercials and PSAs for the Women in Film program.
“Have a plan and work your plan.”
When she is not busy writing, producing, or directing, Marquette indulges her obsession with color through her ever-growing nail polish collection.
In this conversation we get into everything. When it comes to filmmaking, we learn her thoughts on grad school – the good and the bad, her strategy for submitting to film festivals – they are detailed, how she writes, directs and staffs up for her films, and some writing advice she received from Spike Lee himself.
“Fund your film with a fish fry.”
We talk about her winding path from law degree to a creative career, her advocacy for women in film, and we even learn about her desire to read minds as a child. There is a ton valuable information and Marquette is a joy to listen to.
If you want to hear more shows like this, rate us on iTunes and let us know.
Follow Marquette Jones
- Twitter @Marquette_Jones
- Marquette on IMDB
- Hotcomb Pictures
- Directing Magic Podcast
Forgiving Chris Brown
Forgiving Chris Brown is a dark comedy short that follows the follies of “Rihanna”, “Halle” and “Tina”. These stylish girlfriends hope to heal their battered hearts through the old-fashioned way – Revenge.
Show Notes (Ep 14)
The ins and outs of Directing the NYU thesis film, Round on Both Sides. [03:11]
Law school to film school. The realization. [22:35]
- Gender Inequality in Film infographic
- Directors Guild of America (DGA)
- The Oscars
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Women in Film PSA Program
- Digital Bolex Grant for Women Cinematographers
- Film Fatales
- Directing Magic – a podcast by and for women filmmakers
- 1and1 Domain and Web Hosting
- GoDaddy Domain and Web Hosting
The making of Forgiving Chris Brown. [01:21:16]
- Forgiving Chris Brown
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Craig’s List – Crew Gigs, Los Angeles
- Canon EOS C300 Cinema Camcorder
- High Desert International Film Festival
- Rainier Independent Film Festival
- HolyShorts Festival
Mastering the film festival circuit. [01:34:12]
Final questions, likes and advice for filmmakers. [01:48:54]
- Federico Fellini
- Wes Anderson
- Data-ism: The Revolution Transforming Decision Making, Consumer Behavior, and Almost Everything Else